Saturday, April 30, 2011

Power Granola!

The other recipe 
from Relish is this Power Bar recipe. Well I felt I had baked it too long and it didn't so much cut as break apart. The out come Amazing! I have had nothing but raves! Mom took it to work with out my knowledge and I had an email waiting about how the girls love it and want the recipe! I took it too work and gave a sample to my Boss and then gave her the bag because she loved it! It takes a little bit of time but yields a huge amount and it is wonderful to snack on, seriously wonderful. My first sample I felt it was too strongly pistachio flavored for me. But as I snacked I fell for it. It was not long before I began thinking of different varieties. Winco has dried strawberries and I think with almonds that would be soo tasty! I am definitely digging Relish, and the website is even niftier with all the different recipes and tips available! Definitely give it a try. I have made 2 batches now. The first batch I forgot to turn down the oven right away and did so when I put it back in. It gave me a firmer granola with a crunch to it. When I remade it, I followed it exact and it was much much softer, to soft for my taste. I put it back in the next day to crisp up, but forgot! haha.. set the timer everyone no burnt granola ;). I have super crispy granola now hehe.. great to snack still and even better as a cereal!

Pistachio Power Bar Granola

2 c old fashioned oats
1 c shredded sweetened coconut
¼ c (1/2 stick) butter
2/3 c honey
¼ c packed brown sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
¾ tsp coarse salt
2 c roughly chopped shelled pistachios
½ c shopped dried apricots
1 c chopped dried cranberries
½ c roasted sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 15x12 rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper
Combine oats and coconut on baking sheet and toss to combine. (I add the sunflower seeds here as well so they all roast together since I bought shelled unroasted seeds). Bake 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and reduce oven temp to 300.

Combine butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Add pistachios, apricots, cranberries and sunflower seeds (if not roasted with oats and coconut) to the oat mixture. Toss to combine. Pour hot honey mixture over all and stir to mix well. Press mixture into a pan using a large metal spoon to compact it (my silicone spatula’s worked just fine). 
Bake 25 minutes. Let cool completely and break into chunks to serve.  

No comments: