First let me tell you how so easy it was to make!!! I was expecting so much more work! It was wonderfully simple to make; even grating the cheese cause well yay for a food processor ;). My only issue was the green onions.. they were a bit strong and almost.. almost overpowered the awesomeness of the recipe. Either way it was an amazing recipe and I fully expect to make it again most likely once I am moved and can make it for my future husband ;).
- 3 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 12 ounces strozzapreti or penne pasta (I used corkscrew as I was feeling screwy!)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk, divided
- 2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (I used an 8 oz block of sharp and long horn cheese)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I left this out.. mom was being picky)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used 3 because well bacon is awesome)
- Cooking spray
2. Bring 6 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
3. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add 1 cup milk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until it cools to 155°. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, onions, hot sauce, pepper, and bacon; stir. Add pasta; toss. Spoon into a 2-quart broiler-safe dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 7 minutes.
I would definitely follow the directions as is. I stirred the pasta and cheese sauce together and let it sit a bit while I finished my chops and the 7 minutes under the broiler didn't heat up what had cooled down. So I would next time put directly under the broiler or just mix and put in a heated over for a good 30 min. or so. I also took the cheese that went on top and mixed it with some bread crumbs so that I could have a little extra crunch.. mmm So damn yummy!!!