Friday, April 29, 2011

Upside Down Toffee Apple Brownies...

I found this recipe in my 1001 Cupcakes, cookies & Other Tempting Treats cookbook. I have stacks of books and magazines recipes that I want to make, will I ever get to them, doubtful but I try! This was one that I just couldn't pass up, how could toffee and apple go wrong? well go wrong it did not, this is more like an amazingly moist cake! So very extremely good!! I added a sprinkle of pecans with the apples on the bottom of the pan, and obviously once you get down to the recipe you will notice that it calls for hazelnuts and I simply love pecans and that is what I used instead. The good thing about recipes is the ability to change flavors for what you prefer and I prefer pecans! We ate it all, it is rich but so good. the moistness was great and it stayed moist the entire time we kept the brownie/cake or what ever you decide it is! Super easy to make on top of fantastic flavor!

Upside-down toffee apple brownies 

8 tbsp butter, plus extra for greasing ( I love Pan Spray!)
1 c light brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
scant 1 1/2 c all - purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
2 apples, peeled and coarsely granted
1/2 c hazelnuts, chopped

Toffee Apple Topping:
scant 1/2 c light brown sugar
4 tbsp butter
1 apple, cored and thinly sliced (I had mine peeled due to left over apples from apple sauce hehe)

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a shallow 9-in square baking pan. To make the topping, place the sugar and butter in a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until melted. Pour into the pan and arrange the apple slices over the mixture. Sprinkle with nuts as well if desired.
To make the brownies, place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the eggs. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and apple pie spice, and fold into the mixture. Stir in the apples and nuts, then pour into the pan.
Bake in the preheated over for 35-40 minutes, or until firm and golden, let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then cut into squares.  I ended up covering, or wrapping my pan in foil. it was a glass pan so the sides were darkening faster than it was completing the baking process. I watched it closely and decided it was needed. I did bake it at 40 minutes and I may
actually have even gone to almost 50 minutes to ensure to have it done. It was a fantastic brownie, amazing flavor! The book suggests doing pineapple or pear as well and I think both flavors sound fantastic! Just have to decide when I will do it hahaha..

No comments: