Thursday, April 3, 2014

Challenge..

I am on Facebook and well I once was in a very fun baking group. After about a year and a half I simply couldn't afford to participate and their rules involved being removed if you missed so many challenges. I am addicted to recipes and baking definitely used to be my passion; I decided to try to make my own group on FB and attempt to find that passion again. I named us Foodies Unite and wanted it to be more fun than strict. It rolled out rather chaotically on April 1st. We decided that there could be more options if we give the group more to choose from. Four recipes were listed, 2 sweet and 2 savory, and the members can choose which to make.  I love the idea and am going to try to make all 4. The one I really want to make is a coconut cake but the ingredient list is quite extensive and I am not quite sure if I will be able to afford to make it; but then that is why we have 4 recipes to choose from! It just happened that I took out chicken breasts yesterday for dinner and one of the recipes was for Chicken Spaghetti by the Pioneer Woman.  As I looked at the recipe I realized heck yea.. I can actually make this with what is on hand! Part of the rules of our group is that we can tweak it as we see fit, leave out things we don't like or are allergic to.  I am not a fan.. no I hate green bell peppers and well I can't say I am a fan of pimentos so looking at the recipe I figured screw it I can just leave it out! I also just used boneless skinless chicken breasts and halved the recipe because there are only 2 of us at home. This recipe is fantastic and it is so good!!!!! The hubby and I are already plotting on what we can add to it to play with it; and it will be made as is again for sure!
Our Cousin Darlene hosted the recipe because it has become a staple in their home; The Pioneer Woman gave it to us and I am sure we are all thankful for that!

Chicken Spaghetti: 

Ingredients per The Pioneer Women:

1 "Cut Up Fryer" (Basically, one chicken that’s been cut into pieces)
 Thin Spaghetti
2 Cream of Mushroom soup
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 4 oz jar pimentos, drained
2 c sharp cheddar cheese
Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
cayenne pepper
salt
pepper

Instructions:

1. Rinse chicken and put into a pot of water to boil. ( I used 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts; because of the lack of flavor because of there are no bones or skin. I added onion powder, sage leaf, garlic powder, salt and pepper to add flavor as they boil.)  Boil chicken until cooked through, about 30-45 min.
2. Remove chicken and let cool enough to handle. Reserve 2 cups ( 1 for me) of the cooking liquid. Bring that water back up to a boil. While boiling break spaghetti into 2 inch pieces to equal about 2 cups of pasta.  Cook the pasta in the cooking liquid ( I added frozen chopped onions to the pasta while it cooked as I did not have fresh onion to dice and add to the pasta later). If using dice 1 fresh onion, 1 green bell pepper and 1 4 oz jar of drained pimentos, set aside.
3. While pasta cooks, shred chicken into bite size pieces. Drain pasta and place into a large boil. Add shredded chicken, diced onions, pimentos and bell pepper. To this mixture add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup ( I used 1 again, halved the recipe) and the cooking liquid. Stir all this together. Add shredded cheese, and seasonings to taste.
4. I used an 8x8 pan sprayed with non-stick spray, pour the mixture into prepared pan and top with a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Bake in a 350 preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly.

So good!!! I was very surprised, I admit before when I say anything that said Chicken Spaghetti I thought.. omg eww! Now it will become a regular in our home! Super good!!
Enjoy!


No comments: