Monday, April 2, 2012

I cooked!!

It has been quite some time since I have posted anything.  I did bake during the holidays but as much as I kept meaning to post here I just kept putting it off.  But I am trying to get back into the mood to bake and cook. Much of life has taken the passion out of what I once greatly enjoyed.  So enough about that sad bit of information here I am cooking.. at least once! Here is hoping I cook and bake a little more.
It was a cold night, Mom was sick and she just happened to have pulled out a recipe from People Magazines February 20, 2012 issue Gaga Family’s Tomato Soup! I have been itching to make homemade tomato soup but wasn’t sure if the family would be up for it, alas at least Mom was with super yummy grilled cheese sandwiches grilled on the foreman grill.  I did double the recipe and I left during that process opted for only 1 bulb of fennel as they have never had it before so I was playing it safe; either way the soup was awesome and the meal a hit!
Gaga Family’s Tomato Soup:
2 tbsp. olive oil
½ onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1 can (14.5) diced tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add onion, celery, garlic and fennel.  Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. 
Add tomatoes and broth; simmer 4 minutes. Remove from heat, add basil and parsley. Cool slightly. Puree in blender and season to taste and serve.  

I used my new handy little immersion blender instead of the blender, I also sprinkled Parmesan cheese on our servings and for my picture I added a couple of croutons and fennel fronds.  And the sammies were whole wheat sourdough bread with mozzarella and provolone cheese pleasantly sandwiched between the slices of bread. Super yummy! This soup will definitely be made again!! 

No comments: