Monday, September 26, 2011

Pineapple Apple Pie!

 I got my new Taste of Home Healthy Cooking Magazine, Oct/Nov 2011, and stopped literally on the page with this recipe.  I love pineapple and in a pie?? I could not resist!!


Things I changed, I did not put all ¾ c of the reserved pineapple juice, I was worried that it was going to be too runny. After baking it, I do not think it would have been a problem I would just leave it as is. Also when I drained the crushed pineapple I got just under that ¾ c and no extra so I am not sure if I would continue draining it because it seems like a useless step if it came out the same way.
Also for the streusel, I added about a handful of chopped pecans and a half a handful of coconut and an extra 1 tablespoon of melted butter. I also added a good heaping dash of cinnamon.   After having it baked I think I would add a little bit more of the seasonings and maybe a tidbit more of the brown sugar as well.  I just feel the topping needs a little pep.

We LOVED this recipe!!  Definitely loved it hot and we had fat free Coolwhip for the topping but I bet vanilla ice cream would be awesome!!
Now the recipe as in the magazine:


Pineapple Apple Pie:
Pastry for a single-crust pie (9-inch)
3 (I used 4) medium tart apples, peeled and chopped ( I had Fuji apples I used Fuji, I hate HATE tart apples… just saying)
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple
½ c all purpose flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg

Topping:

½ c quick cooking oats
1/3c packed brown sugar
¼ c all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp butter, melted

Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry, trim and flute edges.  Drain pineapple, reserving ¾ c juice.  In a large bowl, combine the apples, pineapple and reserved juice.  Combine the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss to coat.  Transfer to pastry.
In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and butter, sprinkle over filling.
Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned.  Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.

I baked mine for about 15 minutes more but overall it was a supper yummy pie! We topped it with a dollop of fat free cool whip after heating it up of course, It is even yummier warm or hot!

No comments: