Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls Your Way!



As much as I loved the Pineapple Sweet Rolls I was haunted by a comment my Step-dad said after having one “Can’t she just make normal stuff??? Does she always have to change things and make them weird? What’s wrong with just plain cinnamon rolls??” My first response was.” Whatever!! I like different things and not just the plain old boring norm!” Then I said”you all stifle my creativeness!!!” Ha-ha.. but this got me searching for just a normal cinnamon roll, since Scott and Elizabeth were home I wanted to make some so they could eat them in the mornings and that is what I did at 8pm Wednesday night while Elizabeth made us an awesome Asian meal! 

I decided to check out the Fleischman’s yeast website which is BreadWorld.com and found the perfect simple recipe, Cinnamon Rolls Your Way!  It gives you the option of simple cinnamon filling or Gooey caramel filling.  It took all my effort not to go gooey and I will make those in the future! 

This is a great simple recipe, the dough was easy to work with and very light and flakey. I loved seeing the layers in the dough as you unrolled them to eat.  We are weird like that and enjoy unrolling pieces of our sweet rolls :D. I had added extra cinnamon and sugar and feel it was still not enough so next time I will increase the filling for them and perhaps add in some raisins which would be perfect in them.  I did not get to glaze them, I was not going to make them as I was out of powdered sugar but Mom pulled out an unopened box. Needless to say it was bad, and I had no idea that powdered sugar could go bad!! Wow what a horrible glaze because of that sugar and I could not put it on those beautiful rolls ha-ha.  So we had them without and they were a huge hit! The family loved them as is with no glaze or icing! Big, soft cinnamon rolls at 10:30pm J.
 Cinnamon Rolls Your Way!

Cinnamon Roll Dough:
1 cup warm water (100° to 110°F)
1 envelope Fleischmann's® Active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
1 egg
3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

To make dough:
Combine water and yeast in large mixer bowl; set aside for 5 minutes to soften yeast. Add sugar, salt, butter, egg and 1 cup flour. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed of mixer; beat in additional 1 cup flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 6 to 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 45 to 60 minutes. 

To Make Classic Frosted Cinnamon Rolls:
Filling:
3 tablespoons butter OR margarine, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
Frosting:

1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 to 2 tablespoons half and half

Punch down dough and roll out to an 18 x 10-inch rectangle. Brush dough with melted butter. Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle evenly over dough. Roll up from long side; seal edges. Cut into 12 slices.
Place rolls in greased 13 x 9-inch pan, cut side down. Cover and let rise about 1 hour until double. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool. 

Mix powdered sugar, vanilla and enough cream to make icing of pouring consistency. Drizzle frosting evenly over rolls. 

No comments: