Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pineapple Sweet Rolls


I am signed up for various recipes to be sent to my email account, of course since I do not pay attention I had set one up to go to an email account I do not really use regularly.  I opened said hotmail account and found over 500 emails sent to me from TasteofHome.com.  Being the foodie I am, even though I do not post as much as I should or am as professional as I wish I was, I could not just delete them all! I am slowly going through each one and then I see something like it on that link and find myself all over this website ha-ha. Needless to say one of those off the email pages was this recipe for Pineapple Sweet Rolls.  Last year I discovered how much I like to make Cinnamon Rolls or variations of and with my family loving pineapple, how could I pass up trying this recipe!

So I made it! Lovely rolls and of course I changed a couple of things. I used the left over pineapple juice and topped it off with the orange juice for the filling.  When I remake this I will opt for all pineapple, we felt that the pineapple flavor was not very strong and that the orange was more prevalent.  The kind of reminded me of glazed King Hawaiian Sweet Rolls.  I will also double the filling as the single batch did not give you much filling for them. The dough is wonderfully bready and they were quite tasty but next time I will definitely make adjustments.. maybe even add in some coconut and pecans ;). 

  • 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • FILLING:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
  • 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • GLAZE:
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
Directions
  • In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 1-1/3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. 
  • Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. 
  •  Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add orange juice. Stir in remaining filling ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool. 
  • Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling evenly over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1-in. rolls. Place with cut side down into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. 
  • Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen


No comments: