Sunday, April 15, 2012

Apple Pie Baked Apples


I was given the link for this recipe on Facebook and felt compelled to try it out.  The link gave very few instructions and was tied to The Ultimate Woman’s Expo. I don’t know much about it but I liked the look of the picture and the idea of the recipe so wanted to give it a try!
The first change I did was no granny smith apples, I hate them. I like a sweet apple and my family loves Ambrosia’s so that is what I used.  I also added a handful of dried cranberries and chopped pecans to the filling because it’s what I like ha-ha. The following instructions are exactly as the post said.




Instructions:
You will need 6 granny smith apples, 1 pie crust, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Cut off the top of 4 apples off and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon very carefully, as to not puncture the peel. Remove skin from 2 additional apples and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking. Mix sliced apples with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. If you prefer more or less cinnamon and sugar, make adjustments as desired. Scoop sliced apples into hollow apples. Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips. You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/sweetness to the pie. Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips. Place apples in an 8×8 pan. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.

Now my opinion: You can not carefully spoon out the inside of an apple! I bent a spoon several times and ended up just carefully cutting out the inside with a small paring knife then using a spoon to angle and pop out the inside of the apple.  It was definitely not simple and a bit time consuming. 
I did the extra apples and ended up with quite a bit of filling left of which I just made a small crostata with the left over pie dough. True I had added the cranberries and pecans but not all that much the filling left was enough for a nice sized crostata.

I also did the foil like stated and I did do a milk glaze to help with browning but the dough did get soggy being under foil for the first 20-25 minutes and took a bit of time to finally finish cooking than the amount listed. They did come out quite pretty and impressive and I would serve them in a bowl because trying to cut the little stinkers with a fork sends them sliding onto your lap! Speaking from experience with that one!
Tasty of course but Mom says.. we could just as easily make apple pie and it is easier to eat ha-ha.

No comments: