Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Pot Pie!!!


Ok I think I made it in time. I so wanted to make pot pie. The hubby doesn't like them so I never ever get them. And in my thought process of Pot pies, and searches for ideas, I realized that I couldn't really make just 1 little pot pie, that would be a waste, so needed to make something he might eat. So I thought and searched for ideas. And what I came up with was..A Pizza Pot Pie! How could one who LOVES pizza not try this?? Of course, the other problem is that I am working soooo very much, and really had no time to make it. I pulled off the last day of the event. The morning before work. Hoping to eat it before I left, cause well I would get nothing else to eat. SO for my submission for Mini Pie Revolution: Pot Pies I give you The Pizza Pot Pie!
I must say, I am quite pleased. I was bummed thinking damn I need to make pizza dough, and really no time, I thought of cheating and going to just buy pre-made dough, then it hit me, I have tart dough in the freezer! woot for me being smart for once and freezing half my dough ha-ha.
it was very simple to do, and for my life at the moment I need simple. And I did cheat on 1 thing, I used some jar pasta sauce. I just couldn't bring myself to pull that off and get it posted before work. But its so very simple and super good.
Pizza Pot Pie:
2 tbsp garlic flavored olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1 cup Italian sausage, browned and crumbled
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup baby spinach
2 cups grated Italian cheese blend, mozzarella, provolone etc..
1 cup sliced pepperoni
your favorite pastry or pizza dough
your favorite pasta sauce

Preheat oven to 350. On a sheet pan, prep your ramekins or bowls. I got 3 mini pots. Spray with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
Saute onion and mushrooms in olive oil. once starting to soften, add in the sausage.
once sausage is heated through, add spinach and heat to wilted and mixed with the oil. add olives and pepperoni. Heat til hot. Add about half the jar of sauce to pan and bring to simmer. Put about a big scoop of filling into each bowl. top with shredded cheese, and then more filling. Top with more cheese.
Roll out your dough, and top each pot with a thin round. Making sure its stretched over the pot and sticks to the side.
I brushed mine with more garlic olive oil, then sprinkled with salt, pepper and a spicy garlic bread blend that I have.
Put in hot oven.
Bake 30 min, til bubbly and golden brown.Now, keep in mind I used Pastry dough, which means lots of butter. So when I first looked in on them, I thought the dough was melting off the little pots lol. It stopped but still, so don't freak out, and I actually liked the flakiness of the dough over what the pizza dough would bring. It was quite tasty, and definitely warrants a bit of play time on different variations!
Am so glad I pulled off getting this made!!

1 comment:

Gretchen Noelle said...

I love the idea of putting a pizza in the pot pie! I have been making pizza most Fridays, I will have to change things up one of these days and try pizza pot pie! Thanks for the idea!