Monday, March 17, 2008

Battle Cupcake :MarshMallow!!


So, I excitedly logged onto Quirky Cupcake to see what I was up against this month. Deep down I was hoping for lemon. I love lemon and the other 4 flavors scared me ha-ha. So being that I didn't have to go straight to work that day, I logged straight on to see what it was. I had this feeling that it would be what it was...cause so many were excited at the idea. And as the screen loaded..there he was..Mr. Stay Puffed Marshmallow man..one of the best scenes is the classic Ghostbusters ( I admit, I watched it a few days later, as I kept having this urge to do so..hmm I wonder why). So I am faced with Marshmallow. Ok so lets set this straight. I hate marshmallows. The ONLY way I eat them, is in Rocky Road ice cream. And I think thats cause the chocolate and nut goodness hides them well. The idea of a flaming burnt marshmallow on a stick makes me gag, and lets cover this sweet potato mess everyone has to have at Thanksgiving.....Can not stand that gelatinous goo on top. Just seeing it makes me go to the far end of the table.
So you see, the idea of coming up with anything Marshmallow just..didn't go over well. But I love this event, and was determined to not let that little freaky puff of gooey whiteness get the best of me! So I spent days ..and what is it I can only think of...Damn Rocky Road or Damn S'mores. I can't do those, I have no doubt that somewhere in the other 50 people in the crew of Cupcake Hero someone will do them too. But that was all that would come to my mind. Then finally I saw a sandwich ...Chocolate, Banana, and marshmallow gooey grilled sandwich. I have to admit, omg did that look amazing and I may try it ..marshmallow or not lol. But how do I choose which of the 3 to make?? I say screw it, make all 3. So thats what I did. Thats right, Marshmallow didn't best me, I beat it!!
Now, this was one hell of a learning experience.
1. I didn't realize that marshmallows baked into an item just melted into them with no appearance. I thought the chocolate would look soo cool with white specs and I cut it open..and omg where did those damn things go?? NOO!!!
2. They look so cool when you pull them out, cause they bubble up and all that and apparently melt down the side.
3. Did you know that marshmallows caramelize? What the hell is that golden caramel looking stuff making the cupcakes stick to the pan? I didn't make caramel.
4. Oh my damn is this stuff sweet!! So very sweet!!!

That was what I learned hahaha...it was so interesting really, am fully intrigued with marshmallows, not sure I really like them yet, but intrigued I am.
So, faced with 4 doz cupcakes, 3 different types I set off to work, I figured Battle cupcake would take care of my delima of which to choose to post about.
The Rocky Road cupcakes with chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, marshmallows and marshmallow frosting?
The S'Mores cupcakes with graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chunks, marshmallows, and chocolate marshmallow frosting?

or The Banana Chocolate Marshmallow cupcakes? Full of Marshmallows, Chocolate chunks and 2 very ripe mashed banana's with ..yup chocolate marshmallow frosting? Armed with a tray and carrier I headed off to work, certain that 1 of these cupcakes would come out the favorite and I would know what I was going to post about.Now, I work in a hospital...in the Kitchen, do you know how many people I pass on the way to the kitchen?? and yup about 50 of them said ohh I want a cupcake ha-ha. That was a good thing, meant if they wanted them, my coworkers will to. And sure enough they did. each get 1 cup cake? nope the first few I hit were, ohh I want 1 Rocky Road and I want 1...S'mores. So I thought ok the banana will not win. Then the next 5 just wanted banana. Ok so I was wrong. Dang it which do they like? so in less than an hour, the cupcakes are gone, and which was the winner you are wondering.....Hell if I know. There was nothing bad to say about any of them. OMG!! I went armed and ready for battle cupcake and come back with, those were awesome and so on. Not this was definitely the best or anything helpful ha-ha. Yes I know, I shouldn't complain, it means I made 3 great versions of marshmallow cupcakes, but alas I am not suppose to post on 3 types, just 1 dang it just 1. It looks like Marshmallow may best me yet. But I won't let that happen, so I choose My own winner!! Since I love Rocky Road Ice Cream, I choose my Rocky Road Cupcakes, and I hope that I pulled off a tid bit of creativity with this one. I have noticed, that so many in the Cupcake Hero crew are amazingly creative, and they will have some awesome cupcakes.
This cupcake is my Chocolate cake recipe, with an added 4oz package of instant chocolate pudding mix in it. 1 1/2 c of mini marshmallows, 1 cup chopped pecans, and 1 cup of chopped semi sweet chocolate. Very moist, very tasty. And definitely NOT speckled with the whiteness of marshmallows on the inside. Ha-Ha. That just shocked the heck out of me, where did that 1 1/2 cups of freaky sticky puffs go?? and the couple little specks you see, that is the frosting, good try, they were nothing but chocolate in appearance. It wasn't until you took a bite that you got that sweetness of marshmallow and the sneaky chunks of nuts and chocolate. And that intensely sweet, sticky frosting, nothing but a tall glass of milk to wash this tasty goodness down. Quite the fun yummy cupcake. Despite the use of My hated Marshmallow feind, I would make them again, they were just too tasty to pass on.

Rocky Road Cupcakes:
3/4 c unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 c boiling water
3/4 c milk
3 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 c unsalted butter, at room temp
2 1/4 c sugar
3 eggs, at room temp, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 4oz package instant chocolate pudding
1 1/2 c mini marshmallows
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped semisweet chocolate, or chocolate of choice

Paper 2 - 3 cupcake pans with cupcake papers. preheat oven to 350.

Place cocoa in a heatproof bowl or glass measuring cup, slowly add the boiling water and stir until smooth. Stir in milk and set aside to cool to room temp.

Place the flour, baking soda, salt and pudding in a strainer or sifter and sift into a bowl. Whisk to mix well and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater, or in a bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until soft and creamy, about 45 seconds. With the mixer still running, slowly add the sugar, then stop the mixer and scrape the down the bowl. Continue beating at medium speed until the mixture is very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Slowly drizzle in the eggs and beat well; stop atleast once and scrape down the bowl again. Add the vanilla and blend well.

Using the mixer on low speed or a rubber spatula, fold in about 1/3 of the flour mixture, then half of the cocoa mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl and folding just until the ingredients are incorporated. In the same manner, fold in half of the remaining flour mixture, then the remaining cocoa mixture and finally the remaining flour mixture. Fold just until incorporated. Finally fold in the the marshmallows, pecans and chocolate.

Scoop batter into prepared cups, about 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove pans to wire racks and cool.

Top with Marshmallow frosting... :
1 jar (7oz) marshmallow creme
1/2 c butter or margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tsp milk

Remove, and discard lid and foil seal from jar of mashmallow creame. To soften marshmallow creme for easy removal from jay, microwave on high 15-20 sec. In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme, butter and powdered sugar on low speed until blended. Beat in enough milk, 1/2 tsp at a time, to make frosting spreadable. Spread on cupcakes. (to make chocolate, melt about 1-2 oz of chocolate I did unsweetened and let cool slightly. Beat into frosting to preferred consistency).

I planned to garnish with marshmallows and chocolate, but after all the stinkin cupcakes I didn't have any left ha-ha. But they were tasty and that is what mattered, and work enjoyed them all!!

4 comments:

slush said...

Sweetie, you can enter all 3 kinds if you would like!! People have entered more than one before. We turn no cupcakes away. They all sound awesome!!! Tahnks so much!

xo~ laurie

Angel said...

I'm with your co-workers on that. All three look amazing!!! So all three should totally win! Although banana, peanut butter and marshmallow do sound particularly amazing to me. hmmmm marshmallow....

T’s Treats said...

HEHE...wooot Slush!!! then Consider all 3 entered, haha I beat you marshmallow!!! and teehee Angel!!

Tempered Woman said...

This sounds eerily familiar to what happened to me last month! I'm telling you, people are incapable of turning down a cupcake. They lose all sense of judgement. I must admit they all 3 looked darn mighty fine to me too tho! ;-)