Sunday, September 30, 2012

Shepherds Pie


I had been itching to try and make a shepherd’s pie.  After looking at many recipes I thought to myself  "I can do this"! It is fantastic, such a wonderful flavor!  The beef broth and tomato paste adds a great depth. I will definitely do a full veggie version but my Mom is not big on a variety of vegetables so we did just the corn and mushrooms. It tasted even better reheated.



Shepherds Pie
2 pounds Organic ground beef 80/20
2 8oz containers sliced mushrooms
1 16oz bag frozen corn
2 packets of dry Brown Gravy Mix
1 medium onion
Olive Oil
2 cans beef Broth
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
Shredded cheese for sprinkling
Your Favorite Mashed potatoes
Preheat oven to 375
Meat filling…
Cook ground beef, mushrooms and onions until cooked thoroughly, drain.
Place drained beef mixture back in skillet and add 1 can of beef broth. Cook until broth has almost cooked out.
Add tomato paste to meat
In a medium sauce pan, prepare the brown gravy according to package directions,
however, use broth for half the liquid called for( 1 cup water, 1 cup broth)
Pour gravy into meat mixture. And cook all together until you get a nice thick gravy. Stir in frozen corn and heat through until corn is thawed and warmed.
In a 2 quart baking dish, add meat and vegetable layer as bottom layer and then add the mashed potatoes. Top with Shredded cheese .Cook at 375 for about 20 minutes or until cheese in nice and bubbly
I took this moment to do an adorable jar version of shepherd’s pie, too cute to resist and fun to eat! 

  I love this creation, it is so very good! I will make it again and I will play with variations!

No comments: