Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Taste of Home Jambalaya...

Yup another one from the new Cookbook! Yay Taste of Homes Comfort Food Diet Cookbook!! We were game to try something new, I am always up for new things and recently my Mommy has been all over the idea as well. How perfect is that!! I knew that Okra was in either Gumbo or jambalaya and well if it was suppose to be in this uhm yea I was leaving it out!! The one veggie that this Tina does not like, luckily there was no call for it!! What we didn't like was the polish sausage, I feel it was too smokey. I would like to try this with andouille sausage, I think that spice would be fantastic in this recipe. We liked it over all, not jumping for joy because of the polish sausage but definitely worth making again, quite tasty!

Jambalaya:

1 lb smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1 inch slices
1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 can (14.25 oz) beef broth
1 can (14.25 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 celery ribs, chopped
1/3 c tomato paste
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
1-1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 lb cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups cooked rice.

In a 5-qt slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.
Stir in shrimp and rice. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through.

We actually kept the rice out and just poured the jambalaya over it but it really was quite tasty, I will just play with the sausage typed :).

No comments: