Sunday, October 10, 2010

Glazed Pork with Strawberry Couscous

Enjoying some cooking as well as baking, we had a large pork loin in the freezer and I saw this recipe in Taste of Homes Healthy Cooking Magazine. I love trying new things, and my family sometimes doesn't. So when I decided to make this, I left out exactly what it was, knowing the fact that fruit was in the couscous that something would be said.. and mind you it was.. The little Brother went on the whole time .. the rest agreed it was different but good. I left the mint out as to not push my luck lol next time I plan to throw it in! The Roast was wonderful, very flavorful, and juicy! We had so much left that we made a chili with some of it the next night and made delicious pork loin wraps for lunch on Saturday! A fantastic pork roast that I will make again, as well as the couscous!

Glazed Pork with strawberry couscous:

2 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp salt
1 tsp seasoned pepper
1 bone in pork loin roast ( 5lbs) * uhm.. well I just realized literally that it was suppose to literally be a roast haha.. I used a boneless pork loin, and it was fantastic, explains the little bit of left over glaze ;)
1/2 c strawberry jam
1/2 c orange juice, divided
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 pkg. (10 oz) plain couscous
1 c fresh strawberries, chopped
1/4 c minced fresh mint
2 tsp grated orange peel

1. Line the bottom of a large shallow roasting pan with foil; set aside. Combine the marjoram, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Place in pan. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 1 hour.
2. Combine jam and 1/4 c orange juice; brush half over pork. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160, basting with remaining jam mixture every 10 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring brother to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork; stir in the strawberries, mint , orange peel and remaining orange juice. Serve with pork.
I added fresh steamed green beans that I then quickly tossed with a smidgen of butter, salt and seasoned pepper, a delicious meal!

No comments: