Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sunday Ham..


We were not doing much for Easter, in fact we were not even going to cook.  At the last minute though we decided why not get a ham it would be pretty tasty! Well we hit the store and grabbed a spiral sliced ham, some asparagus and a simple tub of the only potato salad I like.. Stater Bros. Deviled Egg Potato Salad.. if I could figure out how to make it I would! BUT.. this post is not about the pre-made potato salad about about the yummy ham I made! We had some stone ground mustard in the fridge and well let me state that I HATE mustard.. except I guess as a glaze ;).. I took some of the Orange Marmalade that I had made and canned last year and mixed it with the mustard, thinned it out with some OJ and yowser!!! So.. without going on and on.. here is my simple but amazing glaze!

Spiral Sliced Ham with Orange Mustard Glaze:

1 c of your favorite orange marmalade (I chose my own of course!)
1/3 c stone ground mustard
about 1/4-1/3 c OJ
about a 9 lb spiral sliced ham

1. Whisk together the marmalade and mustard until well blended.  Slowly add in OJ to thick pouring consistency, I poured until it looked like what I wanted basically.  I slowly poured 1/2 the glaze over the ham, separating the slices slightly so glaze got all over it. We baked it according to package directions.  At the 45 minute mark I poured on the rest of the glaze and we finished baking for about 30-40 minutes. 

This glaze was so good!!! I Think it will be my new standby, I say standby because well I like to try crazy things and rarely make the same thing often ha-ha! But This was good enough that I am pretty sure it will be made and I may even put it on pork loin and grill it! Also in the above picture would be my most awesome asparagus! Simple and oh so good!!

Grilled/Roasted Asparagus

1 bunch Asparagus, snapped at the natural break
Pam cooking spray (or olive oil)
Kosher salt and spicy pepper

Heat oven to 425 (or heat grill if you choose to grill, both ways are awesome)
Line a small sheet pan with foil and lay the asparagus in a single layer.  Coat with Pam cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil (I recently tested the Pam spray and it came out just as good and saves on the fat though with olive oil you get good fats!). Sprinkle with Kosher salt and Spicy pepper to taste.  We like the heat of the spicy pepper!
Roast for about 15-20 min or until tender to liking.  I like the little snap in mine so I keep it at no more than 20 min! If grilling I still place the veggies on the foil and place on the grill, I then make a few holes in the foil so the flames and heat come through more and grill about the same amount of time.
Remove and enjoy!

No comments: