Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Spicy Brittle!


I am still baking and cooking but it seems to be quite the effort to post anything on my little blog.  The one thing I have been wanting to post is this amazing peanut brittle!!  Pulled out of a People magazine back in May 2011 The Bullock Sisters Spicy Brittle is freaking amazing!!
Now I love me some good brittle and I love me some spice, never thought of putting the two together but what I know is I may never make normal peanut brittle again.  The heat sneaks up on you and hangs around for a bit and I found myself unable to stop eating it. Seriously so good and very easy to make.
I keep thinking of other variations like Pumpkin seed brittle with pumpkin pie seasoning.
Definitely should try it, you will like it!! Super yummy!!

 
Spicy Brittle:
2 cups sugar
½ cup corn syrup
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp baking soda
3 c salted, dry-roasted peanuts

Spray a large sheet pan with nonstick baking spray.  In a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt and cayenne pepper.  Stir until the sugar dissolves.
Clip a candy thermometer on the side of the pot and boil mixture without stirring until temperature reaches 300.
Immediately remove the pot from the heat. Sprinkle baking soda over the syrup and stir.  The contents will bubble vigorously. Stir in the peanuts.

Quickly pour mixture evenly onto prepared sheet pan.  Use a small spatula (sprayed with nonstick baking spray) to spread the brittle in the pan while it is still warm.
Cool completely and break into pieces.

No comments: