Saturday, June 18, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam!

Since I had both strawberries and rhubarb left from the pie I also whipped up this freezer jam and was smart enough to take pics as well! Super easy! I found this Ball Fresh Pectin at Walmart and picked it up, it is in bulk! well ok a jar like form ha-ha. Either way it has simple instructions attached which I followed for many other flavors so far, all of which I took no pic's but happily shoved into my freezer! I will list my other flavor combos at the end of this little post, and yes it will be little as it is super simple! I am going to post the instructions on the container and poof there you go!


Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam: 

For every 2 (8 oz) half pints of jam, you will need:

1 2/3 c prepared fruit ( there is a table also about the types of fruit):
1 c Crushed Strawberries, 2/3 c finely chopped Rhubarb
2/3 c granulated sugar, Splenda, No calorie sweetener, granulated
2 Tbsp ball Real Fruit Instant Pectin
1 Tbsp Bottled juice, use only with peaches ( I used it with all especially my bananas.. I did not want brown!!)

Now it has little pictures to follow and is super easy, basically mix the sugar and pectin stir in prepared fruit mix for 3 min and put into jars. Wait 30 min seal and store. Super simple.

The bold is the amounts I used for the 2 flavored jam I prepared, the other combos I have so far made are as follows:

1 c chopped Apricots 2/3 c strawberries1 c strawberries, 2/3 c mashed banana
1 c strawberries, 2/3 c chopped kiwi
1 c strawberries, 2/3 c crushed pineapple ( I only had canned tidbit pineapple, I would suggest just using the crushed if you are going to go buy it.

My thinking that as long as I have the amount of fruit required any flavor combo will work. So far they have, the strawberry kiwi has been tested by a friend and she ate the whole jar :D. SO I take that as a success, the rest are happy in my freezer! I love to can, but since I do not seem to have enough people to just give it away or the space to store I can get my jam fix (making it that is) the freezer way and at least play with flavor combos!