Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Asian night!


I was itching to test out my abilities with Asian Cuisine. I love Chinese food.. ok, any Asian food really. The family isn’t always game, but I could have it at least once a week, minimum! So in this post, I will put both the Pot Stickers that I made as well as the Pork Noodles! Which means a nice.. LONG post!!!
I have always wanted to test my abilities with Pot Stickers, I have actually only had them for the first time about 2 yrs ago at my fave restaurant in Elkhart, IN Jade Garden.. BOMB FOOD!!! So I found a recipe and went with it. I definitely need to work on my cooking abilities with them, my one problem was the pan I used was not completely non-stick, was a bit old, so they started sticking, and I think I left them in the steam too long, flavor wise they were fantastic. I will make them again, just to master cooking them! The noodles were fantastic too! You can really add any kind of vegetable to them, adjust to your taste buds, I would even say you could do the same with heat.
Pot Stickers:
1 c chopped Napa cabbage
1 c chopped spinach
¼ c minced green onions
1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
½ tsp dark sesame oil
Dash of white pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 lb ground turkey breast
¼ lb peeled and deveined shrimp, chopped
24 round wonton wrappers
1 Tbsp canola oil, divided
2c fat-free, less sodium chicken broth, divided

Combine first 10 ingredients in a bowl. Working with 1 wonton wrapper at a time, (keeping the remaining wrappers covered with a damp towel to keep from drying out) spoon about 1 heaping tsp filling into the center of each wrapper. Moisten edges of wrapper with water and fold in half, pinching the edges together to seal.  Hold the sealed edge of the pot sticker between the thumb and first two fingers of each hand, forming 3 to 4 pleats along the seal. Place dumpling, seam side up, on a platter. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers to form 24 pot stickers.
Heat 1 ½ tsp canola oil in a large nonstick skillet.
Arrange 12 pot stickers, seam sides up, in pan, and cook for 30 seconds or until browned Add 1 cup of chicken broth to pan, cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook about 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Remove the pot stickers from pan, cover and keep warm. Repeat procedure with the remaining 1 ½ tsp canola oil, 12 pot stickers and 1 cup of brother.

Pork Noodles:

½ pound spaghetti noodles (calls for rice, I was lazy: P)
1 ½ lbs pork tenderloin
1/3 c low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 (8oz) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 cups coleslaw mix
1 (8oz) can sliced water chestnut, rinsed and drained
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 scallions, sliced

Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, cut the pork in half lengthwise. Cut crosswise into 1/4inch slices. Mix the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, and pepper flakes in a small bowl.
Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add half of the pork and cook, stirring frequently, until no longer pink, 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining pork.
Spray the skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and bell pepper, cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add the coleslaw mix, celery, and water chestnuts; cook, stirring frequently, until the coleslaw is wilted, 1 minute. Stir in the soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil.
Add the reserved pork and garlic to the skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until frscallions; cook, tossing with tongs, until the noodles are hot, 1 min.

The whole meal was oh so tasty!!!

No comments: