Sunday, August 1, 2010

The party!

Short and sweet!! Sweet because there was Cake!! For the cakes for the Grad party. She wanted simple, Half sheet of vanilla cake topped with berries!! I did a basket weave design around the sides of the cake, with a nice swirly board. And covered the top with an abundance of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. Buttercream icing of course!! I did go lazy and totally bought a bucket of Wilton Smooth White Buttercream for the occasion hehe.. And it was a great icing!!! We all were very pleased. I pulled off a wonderful light cake! and it went so well with the berries. Perfect for a warm summer day!! When we un-boxed the cake, the berries smelled fantastic!! Those berries at room temperature for a few hours brought out their sweetness.  The colors popped with freshness. Everyone couldn't wait to eat it!! I will not deny that it had been quite a while since I had baked and decorated any kind of cake, so with all that I had done this week, and pulling that cake out for her made me very proud. There were even a few phones pulled out for pic's of the simple Berry cake of awesomeness!!
I also made her a 6in cake. Her birthday was in June, and we were both very busy. Didn't get to see her until the graduation party in fact! So I took the chance to make her a little cake to take home. I took the 6inch layers and torted them, and filled each with my home made strawberry jam. It gave the cake a wonderful height!! Anytime you have the chance to Torte and fill a cake, so do it. The presentation is wonderful!! Now I like to bake my cakes, torte them, then freeze them. A freezer is every bakers best friend!! Icing a frozen cake yields a perfect outcome! Wrapped properly, a cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. When thawed, it is perfectly fresh and wonderful!! I did my crumb layer and then iced it with just a few flower on top. Wanting it simple, I stuck with all white. Well, I kept looking at it and felt it was far too wedding cake like. So, I added some swirls and dots and poof! Party cake of simplicity!!
She was very happy to have one to take home. The half sheet was a huge hit, and in fact was barely enough. We planned for 50 people, and I think there maybe have been only 30. We had about 4 pieces left, so it was a very good thing that I had one for her to take home! Over all, I think her party was a hit!! I am very proud of her, and so blessed to have her as my awesome friend!! Her family as well!!

No comments: