Sunday, August 1, 2010

Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Sticks

We can definitely grow zucchini that is no joke. Last week I took 2 more of our zucchini and grated it up. I ended up with 9 bags of 2 c amounts in the freezer. that is 9 batches of bread haha.. we pulled off 2 more today, and still have another monster on the counter. So I just got a new magazine in the mail, and in it were a few uses for Zucchini! It was my Cooking Club magazine.. (see a fetish I keep telling people!!) My brother has been wanting fried zucchini, so when I saw this recipe I thought sure why not!! And began slicing. Thought they would taste good with our burgers!!
Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Sticks:

1/2 c all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 eggs beaten
1/2 c panko
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
12 oz zucchini (1 med-large or 2 med-small) halved crossed-wise, each half cut into 1/2 inch sticks

Heat oven to 450. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Combine flour, 1/4 tsp of the salt, garlic powder, and black pepper in shallow dish.
Place eggs in shallow bowl. Combine panko, cheese, remaining 1/2 tsp salt and cayenne pepper in shallow dish. Dip zucchini in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Roll in panko mixture, turning to coat all sides.
Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet, spray with olive oil cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and tender. Serve immediately.
 I felt they were browning a little too quickly, so I turned the oven down to 410.. and we cooked them for about 35-45  min. Holy smokes they were tasty! Next time we will peel them. The coating to stick as well to the skin, but they were very good!! much healthier than the deep fried kind!! a little ranch and we are sooo good to go!!
I would definitely recommend them!

No comments: