Monday, August 16, 2010

Seafood Chowder!

 We made this for dinner, well part of dinner on Saturday night. From one of mom's healthy books Hungry Girl. We like Seafood, and are all about some chowder. Well it's very simple, and to me a bit too thin to be called chowder so after this note, its soup in my head. It was sooo tasty, I had some left overs the next day and added some extra veggies. I can't see why you couldn't add more fish/seafood, or veggies to make it thicker. I would definitely increase the mashed potato flakes to at least 1 c. I didn't do much here, as I wanted to keep the points the same for mom, but if I make it with out points mattering, I would make it thicker and add more fish stuffs!! the flavor was awesome imo :)

2 14.5 oz can's fat free chicken broth
1 14.75 oz can cream style corn
2 6oz can lump crab meat, thoroughly drained
1 6 oz frozen fillet mild white fish ( such as tilapia or cod)
2 c (about 7 oz) frozen cooked ready to eat shrimp)
1 c frozen sweet corn kernels
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1/2 c plain light soy milk ( we actually just used fat free milk, which made it thin as well but still good)
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 c instant mashed potato flakes
1/4 c fat free sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients except potato flakes and sour cream in the crock pot, and mix well. (yup, that fish fillet goes in whole!!)
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hrs or on low for 7-8 hrs.
Stir to break up the fish fillet. Add potato flakes and sour cream, and stir very well. If you like, season to taste with salt and pepper, enjoy!!

Seriously, I so dug the flavor of this soup!!!

No comments: