Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Strawberry Blueberry Muffins..


In the mood for Blueberry muffins, I pulled out my mother in laws recipe that I got a few years ago. I got into my stash of frozen blue berries, and found that I only had about 1 cup of them. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups. So I thought hmm what to add, why not Strawberries!! Since I did have some sitting around, they weren't that sweet ripe they should be, but they weren't bad and the flavors of the muffin should sweeten them up =). So I cut up another 1/2 cup of strawberries and put them both in the freezer to wait until I was ready for them. I also added the zest of one Orange to the liquid ingredients, how can you go wrong with good citrus zest ;).
The Recipe is very simple, and oh so tasty, I am thinking any fruit or berry would be quite wonderful in them, and intend on playing with them. Sadly I planned on using this wonderful Cinnamon sprinkle I have from pampered chef on them in place of the sugar..but...I even forgot the sugar!! NOO!!! I ran to the kitchen and the timer beeped..sigh no chance now lol well next time!
SO with out further ado... I give you

Strawberry Blueberry Muffins..

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter milk (or I used 1 tblsp lemon juice and filled the rest with milk to make my own )
2 eggs, beaten
1 stick butter, melted
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries ** ok here is where I did 1 cup berries and 1/2 cup strawberries chopped =) I would say 1 1/2 cups fruit or berries!
zest of 1 orange

Preheat oven to 400, paper 2 12 ct cupcake pans.
Sift dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Make a well, add buttermilk, eggs, butter and zest. Mix well. Fold in berries. Fill muffin papers half full. Top with sugar. Bake at 400 for about 15- 20 min. Mine took 15min so depends on the oven I would say.

See, super easy, and very yummy!!
Enjoy!sigh.. I need to take better pics =( they just don't do these yummy muffins justice lol.

2 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

That's funny. I just made strawberry muffins too!

Unknown said...

hey those muffins look good good good! pity we dont get blueberry here :(