Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cinnamon Chips with Fruit Salsa

Once a month, My weekend has a carry in at work. I always try to bring something interesting and different. This weekend was hard, I usually know right away what I want to make, I could com up with nothing. I thought to do the Challenge..but am still torn on how I want to do it, I could do my Cupcake hero, but I must confess, I have NO idea what to do for that this month. So I went to work, Saturday perplexed trying to figure out what everyone else was going to do on Sunday so that maybe something would come to mind.
What did I find out you ask..that no one else had a clue at what they were going to bring either. Sigh, I can't not bring anything, I always have cool stuff, what the heck am I going to do???
I sat at the desk and started browsing random recipe sites, in hopes for ideas, but man I didn't even know if I wanted to do a dessert or something savory. How could I be at such a loss???
Then I see something that catches my eye...fruit salsa..hmm what is this??
So I look at it, and a couple different ones, and become intrigued. Hmm..I think I may have found it. I tested the chips that were with it, omg, they are soo good!! and decided to take the recipe and kind of make it my own. It was soo good and refreshing, and apparently addicting!!
So I give you,
Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips :

For the chips:

Flour tortilla's
Cinnamon
Granulated Sugar
Melted butter

Heat oven to 350. Mix Granulated sugar and Cinnamon to choice of flavor. Take tortilla and brush each side with melted butter, cut into strips or small triangles with a pizza cutter. Dredge each piece into the cinnamon/sugar mixture and place on sheet tray. ( I used a large tray with holes). Bake a single layer for 8-10 min, or until lightly toasted. Put in bowl. Continue with desired amount of tortilla's.
I did mine the day before, they kept, super crispy over night, I brought the left overs home to see how long they will keep crisp! They are so very good, and am considering playing with variations ;)...garlic herb butter and Parmesan cheese is gonna be the next one I think!

For the Salsa:

1 pint Strawberries, Rinsed, and finely chopped
2 fugi apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
1/4 of a pineapple, finely chopped
4 kiwi, peeled and finely diced
the zest of half an orange
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
couple sprigs of mint, chopped
(I had a half a pineapple, that I just used the other 1/4 for something else)
*I changed the fruit from the recipe that I found, and added the zest & mint. I am sure you can use any mix of fruits and or zest that you like.

Mix all ingredients together and chill over night. Let sit at room temp just before serving. Serve with Cinnamon chips.

See its super easy, and very tasty. I was very pleased!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.