Sunday, March 31, 2013

Banana Pudding Poke Cake

I have been seeing this Banana Pudding Poke Cake all over Pinterest and Facebook and since my family loves Banana Pudding I knew it was going to have to be made.  I looked at several links and felt there were could of things missing and determined that well a a recipe was definitely not necessary. 
Easter Weekend was coming and my family is quite non traditional, since we were going out for lunch on Saturday I could bring the cake for desert!
We like lots of banana's in our pudding and lots of Nilla Wafers so I added an extra layer of them between the pudding and the Cool Whip but I figure anyone that can make a boxed cake mix and whip up some pudding can easily throw this cake together and I am pretty sure that there are many possible variations to this as well!

Banana Pudding Poke Cake: 
1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients for it
2 small boxes instant banana pudding, plus ingredients ( I couldn't find the small boxes so I used 2 5.1oz packages which left me a little bit to make a couple individual banana puddings)(I used Skim milk to make the pudding and it came out great.)
1 tub Cool Whip ( I used Fat Free)
1 box Nilla Wafers
banana's to slice

1. Preheat oven based on the directions on the cake mix, Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.  Prepare cake mix as instructed on box.  Bake as directed.  Let cool completely.
2. Once the cake is cool you will use the end of a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the cake. You need many holes so that the pudding will get all through the cake. 
3. Prepare the pudding as directed per box instructions. Mix until just beginning to thicken. It should not be fully set but not runny thin either!
4. Slowly poor the pudding mix all over the cake. I took a rubber spatula and spread it into every corner and then added more. I wanted a nice coating of pudding to cover the cake. Chill the cake in the refrigerator until fully set and the cake has soaked up pudding.
5. Fill a plastic bag with Nilla Wafers and crush. 
6. Take the chilled cake and top the pudding with a layer of banana's, I do a single layer all over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with a light layer of crushed Nilla Wafers.
7. Carefully take the Cool Whip and top the cake. Carefully covering it (at this point I feel I would definitely have added another half a tub of Cool Whip for a thick layer but I didn't have it!). 
8. At this point you can chill the cake over night, which is what I did, then top it with the rest of the crushed Nilla Wafers just before serving. Or serve right away topped with the wafers.

This simple twist on a great comfort dessert is so good! The family is strongly considering replacing our standby with this version! And my Grandpa, whom never knows what he likes anymore sadly, Loved it so that meant so much to me!!





No comments: