Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Orange Rhubarb Muffins with Streusel and Orange Glaze


Since my first Strawberry Rhubarb pie I have been intrigued by Rhubarb.  When I made the strawberry rhubarb freezer jam I chopped some up and through it in the freezer.  I get this magazine from the Cooking Club of America called Cooking Club and there was a section on how to freeze and use Rhubarb.  There were also a few recipes including this recipe.  It s in the April/May 2011 issue and I added my own twist by topping them with a cinnamon streusel and orange glaze.  I had only had rhubarb before with strawberries, I did make the mistake of throwing a raw piece into my mouth during the jam process, and something I do not suggest and will definitely never do again.  I was worried about how the orange and rhubarb would balance, if the citrus would have enough sweetness to cut through the tartness of the rhubarb. I had one just a few minutes out of the oven and I will have to say YUM! They were so good and the streusel and glaze just added a touch of indulgence to the muffins.  A great recipe and I will definitely make them during rhubarb season! Rhubarb… a definite pleasant surprise to me!

Orange Rhubarb Streusel Muffins with Orange Glaze:
1 ¾ c all purpose flour
2/3 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 (8oz) container sour cream, room temperature ( I had fat free on hand and worked great)
3 Tbsp orange juice
2 tsp grated orange peel
2 eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 c diced fresh rhubarb (1/2 inch) (I used my frozen rhubarb. I thawed it and then drained it well!)

Streusel:
Uhm.. yea this will not be good but haha I mixed 3 Tbsp of room temp unsalted butter with flour and sugar until I was happy and then added a bit of cinnamon. Pick your fave streusel recipe cause I am horrible and remembering exactly what I did to make it!
Glaze.. the same powdered sugar and orange juice to your liking

Heat oven to 400, line 12 muffin cups with paper liners (I used pink for the rhubarb haha).  Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
Whisk sour cream, orange juice and orange peel in medium bowl until blended. Whisk in eggs until well-combined. Whisk in butter.

Make well in center of flour mixture. Pour in sour cream mixture, fold into flour mixture.  When about halfway combined, add rhubarb, fold just until no traces of flour remain. Spoon into muffin cups, sprinkle with streusel.

Bake 18-20 minutes or until tops spring back when gently pressed and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on wire rack with parchment paper under it. Drizzle warm muffins with orange glaze. Cool completely.

Yummy and pretty! Try them and enjoy the freshness, definitely made me think light fresh muffin, I am looking forward to one for breakfast tomorrow!

No comments: