Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cooking LIght Peanut Butter Banana Bread



The next one I tested with the 21 ripe bananas would be the Peanut Butter Banana Bread, still from the October 2010 Cooking Light Issue.  Peanut Butter and Bananas yummy!  . My favorite am treat, when I actually eat something in the morning (horrible to admit I know!!) is an English muffin toasted with peanut butter, bananas and a drizzle of honey.  I definitely couldn’t pass up testing this recipe and really liked that it actually had chopped peanuts in it.  My note, make sure they are roasted peanuts.  I used just plain unroasted, not thinking and it made the flavor not as intense or peanutty.  It was almost bland peanut.. kind  of weird.  I will definitely remake it with properly roasted peanuts, and maybe chunky peanut butter for added nuttiness!  Not a horrible bread, but I will redo and make sure I have roasted nuts!! Ohh and I also added extra nuts over the 2 Tbsp stated lol.

Peanut Butter Banana Bread:
1 ½ c mashed ripe banana
1/3 c plain fat-free yogurt
1/3 c creamy peanut butter
3 Tbsp butter, melted
2 lg eggs
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c packed brown sugar
6.75 oz all purpose flour (about 1 1/2c)
¼ c ground flaxseed
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground allspice
2 Tbsp chopped dry-roasted peanuts
Cooking spray
1/3 c powdered sugar
1 Tbsp 1% low-fat milk
1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter

1.       Preheat oven to 350.
2.       Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed.  Add granulated and brown sugars; beat until combined.
3.       Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.  Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through ground allspice).  Add flour mixture to banana mixture, beat just until blended.
4.       Stir in nuts
5.       Pour batter into a 9x5 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. 
6.       Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack.  Remove bread from pan; cool completely.
7.       To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, and 1 Tbsp peanut butter in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Drizzle glaze over bread.  I sprinkled chopped peanuts on top of the glaze as well. 

Overall good bread, just an off flavor because of my lack of attention! Definitely try for the peanut butter flavor! Again pictures supplied by the awesome Sis in Law.. Ashley!

No comments: