Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cooking Light Banana Chocolate Walnut Bread

The next one I tested with the 21 ripe bananas would be the Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread.  Heck yea.. Chocolate, Walnuts and Bananas what could possibly go wrong!!! The result is nothing. It was awesome and chocolaty and tasty! Truth be told.. I did add a bit more chocolate chips and walnuts, cause well I just like a little bit more than the little amounts.  True it takes out some of the lightness, but it was just so good! 
It took a bit for me to leave the walnuts as walnuts, as I have grown I have discovered that I prefer pecans as my nut
nut of choice, but I really try to test recipes as they are and make changes later.  I do not think I will ever change the walnuts in this bread, they compliment the banana and chocolate perfectly.
Chocolate Walnut  Banana Bread:
1 ½ c mashed ripe banana
1/3 c plain fat-free yogurt
5 Tbsp butter, melted
2 lg eggs
1/3 c granulated sugar
1/3 c packed brown sugar
6.75 oz all purpose flour (about 1 1/2c)
¼ c ground flaxseed
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground allspice
2/3 c semisweet chocolate mini chips, divided
1/3 c chopped walnuts, toasted and divided
Cooking spray
2 Tbsp fat-free milk

1.       Preheat oven to 350.
2.       Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed.  Add granulated and brown sugars; beat until combined.
3.       Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.  Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through ground allspice).  Add flour mixture to banana mixture, beat just until blended.
4.       Fold in 1/3 c of the mini chips and nuts into batter.
5.       Pour batter into a 9x5 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. 
6.       Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack.  Remove bread from pan; cool completely. Combine remaining 1/3 c mini chips and milk in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at high for 30 seconds, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over bread.

Omg this was soo yummy, a definitely chocolate Fix!!  Again instead of a large loaf and I chose to make small loafs, this yielded 4 mini loaves. I drizzled and froze them and have had no issues with the glaze once thawed.  So very good!!! A definite top of the list recipe and will be remade again.  As much as I like the traditional banana bread recipe I prefer more than just plain so this was perfect!!
Again pictures supplied by the awesome Sis in Law.. Ashley!

No comments: