Make the tart a day ahead, and store it in the refrigerator. You can use a 9-inch pie plate instead: simply roll the dough to a 13-inch circle, fold the edges under, and flute.
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup pecan halves (I added at least another 2/3 cup, just added til I felt it had enough)
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped (Left this out)
PreparationPreheat oven to 350°.
Combine first 10 ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in pecans. Roll dough into a 13-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray. Trim excess crust using a sharp knife. Spoon sugar mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over tart.
Sadly I never got a picture of my Grandpa's German chocolate cake, it was his 76th Birthday on Thanksgiving Day!! So he got his favorite. Over all it was a fantastic holiday meal!!