I found a recipe for Apple Oatmeal Cookies to help use up my Apple Pile. It looked like it was a bit healthy, and I tweaked it to make it a bit more still.
I have the original recipe below. What I did was.. used 1/2 cup white flour 1/2 whole wheat flour, instead of Shortening (eww!!) I used equal amounts of unsalted real butter. And I increased the Apple by 1/2c.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup diced apple without peel
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture until well blended. Fold in the walnuts, oats and apples. Drop dough by spoonfuls about 2 inches onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool on wire racks.
Protein: 1g (this is for the original recipe, not with my changes, am still figuring out how to do that!! but..as is..the points for weight watchers are 2pts per cookie!! so my little tweak can't possibly change much if anything maybe..1 more point, still not bad!!)
]Now..what I noticed of the cookies.. great texture!! but lacking in flavor. I would definitely increase the cinnamon and nutmeg greatly, maybe even a little vanilla..I have even thought of decreasing the white sugar and using some brown sugar. Something, will play with it for sure!!