Monday, August 22, 2011

Seriously Yummy Sweet and Sour Chicken

As I grow older, I am discovering I like things I never used to like. Take the color pink, I have always hated that color but in the last year I have discovered that I actually quite like the color now.  I can also add sweet and sour chicken to that.  I have always hated that bright red, sticky like sauce that came with the typical fried chicken pieces at found at most of my yummy Chinese joints. I have always loved different ethnic foods, including good Chinese food, but I simply could never stomach sweet and sour chicken.  I have gotten my Mother to try all kinds of new things in the last couple of years and for her I decided I should try some sweet and sour recipes.I admit that once I made the first attempt it was not too bad, and supper Yummy!!

Sweet and Sour Chicken:

1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
1 Tbsp reduced-sodium chicken broth (I actually just used a Tbsp of water lol)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes.
1 can (20 oz) unsweetened pineapple chunks ( and uhm.. I just used in natural juices lol)
2 tbsp plus 1/3 c cornstarch, divided
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
1/4 c ketchup
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 c hot cooked rice

1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 Tbsp soy sauce, chicken broth, salt, garlic powder, and ginger; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 min.
2. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup. In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp cornstarch, sugar and pineapple juice mixture until smooth; stir in the vinegar, ketchup and remaining soy sauce. Set aside.
3. Drain chicken and discard marinade ( I actually didn't bother draining it, but I had a little extra chicken cause well I never actually weigh my meat! My bag was not significantly moist so adding it did not really seem like something bad to do).  Place remaining cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag.  Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.  In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. I then added my chopped red peppers and drained water chestnuts.  I cooked for about 5 min until heated and peppers started to become tender. Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Cook stirring until sauce thickens.
Serve over rice.

Such a very yummy recipe. Not to sweet or sour just great!

No comments: