Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fresh Salmon Burgers with Lemon tartar sauce!

I love Fish!! I do, almost any fish anyway I love it. I was married for several years and he hated fish, so I never got to make it and rarely got to eat it. Now I am free and home with my family, and they love fish too. Mom found this recipe for fresh salmon burgers and I was all over it! After making it, I will let you know that it takes a bit of time, skinning the fish and chopping it all, it definitely takes time. We are also not lemon people when it comes to our fish, so we decided next time we would leave out half the lemon, so that it was at least an accent and not so strong. To us the lemon over powered, but I would suggest if you like lemon with your fish, definitely give it a try!! The burgers were great and we definitely enjoyed them! We served them with the Crispy Zucchini Sticks from below. Another fave now :)
1 ½ pounds skinless salmon filet, finely chopped (I didn’t have skinless at my disposal, so we bought with skin and I got to skin it lol)
¼ c chopped fresh parsley, divided
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
7 scallions, thinly sliced, divided
2 ½ tsp finely grated lemon zest, divided
12 saltines, finely crumbled
 1 lg egg, beaten
½ tsp. salt
1 TB olive oil
¾ c light mayo
6 whole wheat sandwich buns
4 tsp lemon juice

Thoroughly mix salmon, 2Tbs. parsley, dill, 6 of the scallions, 2 tsp of the lemon zest, crackers, egg and salt in medium bowl. Divide into 6 equal portions and form into firm patties. Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.
About 15 min before serving, preheat gas grill- all burners on high for about 10 min. Use a wire brush to clean grill rack, then use tongs to wipe a vegetable oil-soaked rag over it. Close lid and return to temperature.
Brush burgers with olive oil. Place burgers on hot grill rack; cook, covered, until first side develops impressive grill marks, about 3 minutes; Turn and grill, covered, on other side, 2-3 minutes, grill buns until spotty brown, just a minute.  

Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise, remaining parsley, scallion, lemon zest and the juice.
To serve, spread a portion of sauce over each bun half. Set burger on bottom, cap with bun top and serve immediately.

No comments: