Sunday, July 11, 2010

We Have Zucchini!!! which means.. BREAD!!




We attempted to grow a small garden this year! Knowing nothing really about planting or growing one, and being pretty lazy about the process, we dug we planted we watered haha.. well apparently the item that took off were 2 zucchini plants that just took off! Over this last weekend I discovered we have 2 growing, and one to the right was very fat! so I pulled that baby off, the other I felt could grow a bit more.Well 2 days later the family is home and Mom brings in this zucchini that is seriously as long as my forearm and at least 4 inches or so around, it was monstrous!! What does this mean?? hmm what oh what to do with the zucchini!! of course I am
thinking.. Sweet!! Chocolate zucchini cake? bread? sauteed? Parmesan?? so much you can do. So I set out to find a couple recipes. The first I did was from Weight Watchers. My darling Mom is just 4lbs from losing 100 on the program, so when I can find recipes with points I do! eventually my big tush will get on the band wagon and lose my many many lbs. But for now I am enjoying helping her. So I had 2 recipes, and this is the first one. I made 2 loaves as well as a second batch of mini loaves!! It's is a beautiful bread when sliced, in fact that was my first thought, Oh my gosh how pretty!! specks of green, the raisins and nuts. A beautiful slice of bread! Flavor, very tasty!! we all loved it, including mom who tends to say what is this green shit in my bread??? hahaha.. but WW has helped her learn to try and like new things so She ate it and loved it!! its definitely on our make again and eat more list!! So with out delay here is the recipe!!


Weight Watchers Zucchini Bread:

2 c whole wheat flour
2/3c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3 lg egg whites
1 lg egg
1 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c canola oil
2/3 c unsweetened applesauce
2 c zucchini, grated
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c raisins

* we had picked up some Egg White Substitute and we actually used that instead of the egg whites in the. I will stick to how we made it, as we greatly enjoyed the bread.
** I grated the zucchini unpeeled. I don't recall ever peeling my zucchini, even when I cook with it, so why do so when I bake with it. And I will stick to what I do :)  Also.. I increased the walnuts to 1 cup instead of 1/2.

Preheat oven to 350. Coat 2-8x4 inch loaf pans with cooking spray, set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, in a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Add egg, sugar, vanilla, oil and applesauce and beat until thoroughly combined; beat in zucchini.
Add sifted ingredients to egg mixture and mix well; fold in nuts and raisins. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake in middle of oven until a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. about 50-60 min. Slice each bread into 10 pieces and serve warm or at room temp. 3 pts. per slice based on actual ingredients. My nuts increased and using the substitute will likely change the points of my actual bread. Either way.. Its Good!! We got 5 mini loaves!!

No comments: